- Contact us
- How to make a death claim
How to make a claim after a death
We understand that this can be a difficult time and we want to make the claims process as simple as we can for you. Our dedicated teams are here to support and guide you, and to pay the claim as quickly and smoothly as possible.
1: You need to give us the details of the person who has died
You can do this by calling us or writing to us.
Call us on 0345 601 4179. Our lines are open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, and 9am to 12.30pm on Saturday.
Or, if you’d prefer, you can write to us and give us the information:
Edinburgh EH16 5BU
When you contact us, we will need the following information:
- The name and date of birth of the deceased
- The policy/plan number – you will find this in the policy/plan documents if you have them but don't worry if you haven't got it
- Your address and a daytime contact number.
We will need to see the death certificate and the Will of the person who has died (if there is one).
2: What happens next?
If there is anything else that we need from you to complete your claim, we will let you know. We may also need to contact the coroner or doctor for medical information.
We will keep you up-to-date on the progress of your claim.
3: Completing your claim
When we have all the information that we need, we aim to pay agreed claims within five working days.
These organisations can provide practical help and emotional support for you and your family.
People you can talk to:
- Cruse Bereavement Care (offers general information, support and counselling)
- Child Bereavement UK