Find a financial adviser
A financial adviser will talk to you about your hopes and plans for the future and recommend the best products to suit your personal situation. The unbiased.co.uk tool will help you find one near you.
Talking to a financial adviser
Our adviser checklist will help you get the most from your meeting. Before the meeting have a think about your goals and plans for the future so you are not thinking on the spot.
Things to bring:
- Documentation such as bank statements, tax returns or annual pension statements, anything that will help the adviser build a true picture of your financial situation
- An idea of your financial goals and aspirations
- A list of questions you want to ask
- Proof of identity incase you want to act on any of the recommendations
Questions to ask before your first meeting
- Do you specialise in the product area/areas I am interested in?
- How long have you been advising clients?
- Do you often advise people in my earnings bracket?
- Can you show me references from satisfied clients?
- Do you charge a fee for the initial consultation?
- Do you charge fees for advice or take commission from the provider?
- Where and when will meetings take place?
Questions to ask during your meeting
- What’s the potential return on this investment and how long it is for?
- What are the charges and how does that compare with those for similar products?
- What happens if I need my money earlier than planned?
- What are the risks?
- What is the tax position with this product?
- What if I can’t keep the payments up?
- Can I have the Key Features document for this product?
At the meeting
- Always ask if you don't understand
- Take notes
- don't sign anything until you've read and understood it